Wessex Centre for History 和 Archaeology
The regional past from prehistory to the present is one of our particular research strengths.查看内容
Founded in 2004, the WCHA encourages and coordinates research within the Wessex region (defined as the historical counties of Dorset, 汉普郡 and Wiltshire). The WCHA develops the dafabet888's long-standing involvement in regional and local archaeology and history, continuing and extending the work of the former Wessex Medieval Centre at Southampton University. WCHA complements and supplements the work 和 outreach of bodies such as the Wiltshire Archaeological 和 Natural History Society 和 CBA威塞克斯.
The steering committee comprises historians and archaeologists from the dafabet888, Southampton University, record offices and archaeological units, 和 private individuals within the region.
虽然总部设在 历史系, the WCHA works in partnership with the Department of Archaeology, Anthropology 和 Geography, as well as other History research centres such as the Medieval 和 Renaissance 研究 Centre 和 近代史研究中心. 温彻斯特 historians 和 archaeologists have jointly published high-profile volumes such as 在威塞克斯丹麦人 （拉维尔和罗菲EDS 2015）和 Alfred的战争 （拉维尔2010）。
The WCHA is also associated with the 温彻斯特项目, led by Dr Mark Allen. The Centre has published the Wessex Historical Databases, a range of CD publications providing high-quality, expertly edited historical data for subjects on the Wessex region. Titles:
- 汉普郡 和 Surrey County Council Elections: 1889 - 1974. Edited, with introductory essays by Roger Ottewill
- Southampton Brokage Book, 1447-48, edited by Winifred Harwood
- The 1871 温彻斯特 Census, edited by Mark Allen 和 Tom Beaumont James
- Sparsholt, 1841 - 1901: A 汉普郡 village microhistory, edited by Roger Young
Purchasing Wessex Historical Databases: price £11.75 each; postage 和 packing free in UK; please add £1.50 for overseas orders. Please make cheques in £ sterling payable to Dr Mark Allen, Wessex Historical Databases, Univ. of Winchester, Department of History, 斯帕克福德路, 温彻斯特 SO22 4NR, UK.
研究 students are supervised to MPhil/PhD degrees across the whole thematic range of regional history 和 archaeology, from the earliest times to the present days. Applications from prospective students are welcome; for more information, contact the Convenor, Dr Simon S和all.
The WCHA organises an annual series of research seminars 和 a spring symposium (find out about the latest symposium, which took place on 8 Feb. 2020). WCHA events are free and open to anyone interested in current Wessex-related historical or archaeological research. For information on current 和 forthcoming WCHA events, see What's Happening below, 访问WCHA Facebook的页面，历史Facebook的页面的 历史新闻和活动页面，或探索大学 公共事件日历. If you would like to be added to our mailing list, email the Convener, Dr Simon S和all.
Follow the links below to find out more about our research interests, areas of supervision 和 latest publications:
- Dr Simon S和all, Senior Lecturer in Early Modern British History （召集人）（早期现代威塞克斯）
- Dr Mark Allen, Senior Lecturer in Modern History （温彻斯特项目）
- Prof. Tom James, Emeritus Professor in Archaeology 和 History (温彻斯特 from prehistory to present, medieval Wessex)
- Prof. Tony King, Professor of Roman Archaeology (Roman Wessex)
- Prof. Ryan Lavelle, Professor in Early Medieval History (Anglo-Saxon Wessex 和 温彻斯特)
- Dr Simon Roffey, Reader in Medieval Archaeology （中世纪威塞克斯和温彻斯特）
- Prof. Barbara Yorke, Emerita Professor in Early Medieval History (Anglo-Saxon Wessex 和 温彻斯特)